Wednesday, January 31, 2007

HISTORY LESSON continued........

After some time passed, the hat's recipient graduated high school and left for college. I noticed that he had absent-mindedly forgotten to pack the hat so I quietly stuffed it in the innards of his suitcase.

His first Christmas break, his father and I stood among the throngs of air travelers waiting eagerly to catch a glimpse of our son...actually afraid we would not recognize him some 4 months after he had left home. We need not have feared because he was the only disembarking passenger wearing a fluorescent orange hat.

When opening the Christmas gift with the special wrap, it was my turn to receive his hat. However, I knew how important the item was to him so I mailed it to him. Over the years, the hat has turned up under mattresses and in the Canadian wilderness when he unfolded his tent. It has been mailed, sent with others, and handed back directly.

To see a picture of how very useful this fashion statement has been over the years, go to www.wyattjourney.com and look at his May 17, 2005, photo. It was about that time I determined perhaps he really wanted me to have it...so I put it away in my Mother's "hope chest" thinking someday I could wear it to his wedding rehearsal. The last time I saw the orange wonder, Geoffrey had tucked it in some attic bookshelves he thought were seldom, if ever, used. I wasted no time mailing it to him.

Now, he is the keeper of the hat. And I am wondering what color shoes I need to go with it.

No comments: