Friday, January 12, 2007

Here I sit...within reach are three calendars. One is a monthly calendar with a January photo of a reminder of my family's love: one is a weekly engagement calendar with a photo of Arizona, and one is a tiny look at this month's numbers only.

For many, January means a new beginning, a fresh start. For our tribe it is the month of birth. We can easily account for family birthdays on the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th, 13th, 21st, 26th and 30th. And with each date, there are of course special memories.

None of those memories can compare with those treasured in my heart for this day. This is the anniversary date of our firstborn. His name - so carefully chosen -- means Beloved Gift of God.

He came the very date predicted. I called the school office to have them pass the word to my teacher hubby that I was in labor. When there was no returned call, I called Ollie Marshall, Administrator at Sunset Haven "Old Folks' Home" for advice. She delivered me to the hospital then alerted John and his mother (100 miles away), who both arrived about the same time.

In the room with me was a 17-year-old girl whose husband was in Vi etnam. This was her first child also. Her mother had driven her to the hospital and dropped her off; she was obviously scared. John's Mom noticed her distress and stayed with her until she was whisked away to the delivery room.

In those days, the hospital had rules...LOTS of rules. However, John was the first to be allowed to bend the really big rule of no one watching the birth. He was not allowed in the delivery room, but he was allowed to watch through a big picture window. Just as Mary treasured up memories in her heart for Jesus, my heart overflows this day as I pull precious memories from my own treasure chest.

Happy Birthday, David Matthew.

1 comment:

G.Wyatt said...

Once again, a family blog has opened up a new story from the vault. Welcome to the club and thanks for sharing this nice story.