Monday, February 16, 2009

Memories are made of this

There are things that occur in this life that, at the instant of their occurrence, I just instinctively know this will stay in my memory forever. Sometimes, it is a milestone – such as saying “I do” in front of a group of friends and relatives. And sometimes it is not worthy of taking up space in one’s brain – such as watching ants on my 5th birthday scurrying with new-found crumbs and my surmising they are taking them to their hill to gift wrap them for me. I am chasing rabbits…back to my tale.

Today, my memory bank is full of the word OUGHT. It has been permanently embellished on my mind for over 50 years as the word that caused me great embarrassment. When my sophomore English teacher chose two people in the class to choose teams for a spelling bee, I just knew that this was my opportunity to shine. After all, had I not learned to spell e.v.a.p.o.r.a.t.e. in kindergarten? Why, in Texas, I had proven my spelling many a time. Apparently, my team captain thought I had some capabilities since I was her first pick.

Team captains were called on first and spelled their simple words with little effort. Then came my time to impress. The teacher called out my word to spell…”Ought,” she said. “A.u.g.h.t.” I replied. “No, Betty. Perhaps I did not pronounce it well. Let’s try again.” Ought.” “O.t.t.” I guessed. “No, you have been eliminated from the race…Next!” I was mortified to have done so poorly on such a basically simple word.

The reason this memory has been itching my brain so recently is because one of my granddaughters spelled the word “Sleight” by dropping the “e” (s.l.i.g.h.t) during a recent spelling bee. I rather suspect that it will become her “forever” word.

p.s. I think she should have received credit for her spelling; modern usage shows it both ways.

No comments: