Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Learning to Accept

Well, the very kind letter of rejection came in less than a week. The agent with the misspelled name did not write it; he asked an associate to let me know Jessie just does not fit their needs at this time. How does it feel? It is never easy to be rejected when the rejectors have never asked to see the book. The good news is that, on that very same morning, someone ordered two books through Lulu.com., bringing my total sales to 918 in just over 10 months.

3 comments:

Linda Judd said...

So sorry to hear that, Betty. Those of us who read Jessie know it's a "winner." You might have seen, in my blog, a similar story -- about not winning a ribbon at the state fair this year, for my photography.

Anyway -- good job in selling the book on your own!

Anonymous said...

918! WOW! Congratulations~
Wasn't it Barnes & Noble that said you'd be out of buyers after the first 100 to family & friends?
You sure have a lot of friends!! (either that or a REALLY large family)
Guess they just don't know a good thing when they see it!

betty said...

Linda,
I have been seeking an agent or publisher for well over a year now...Rejection is the norm. These people are ovewhelmed at what computers and internet have done to their chosen careers. I've sense that perhaps only one person in this field has even taken the time to read my query ("Mother, may I?")
Meanwhile, I have had orders for 34 books, and a phone call telling me a man has sent a copy of Jessie to a friend in the movie industry.
In God's own timing.

Betty