Sunday, January 13, 2008

time continues......

Just an update on my last blog. That watch still reads 1:52. John took it to the store where it was purchased and even took his own set of tiny screwdrivers to open the back to replace the battery. It took a bit longer than anticipated for him to get the back open, but when he did, the clerk pulled out the old battery and found a replacement for it. Only problem was it did not work. Oh, I am told that the light now would illuminate the watch's face, but the time did not change.

This morning when looking through my jewelry for a certain stick pin I came upon five watches, three of which have been bought in the last 20 years. One of those three was absolutely identical to my 1:52 watch. One watch had been my mother's. Without looking, I could tell you the brand name because my parents were real believers in the quality of Bulova watches. When studying this timepiece, I could see it, too, contained a battery. I put it on my wrist and whacked it a couple of times and the second hand took right off as though it had just been stirred from sleep. Mother died in 1990, and that watch had not been worn since her death.

I knew I had her mother's Elgin watch which does not have a wristband so I hunted it down and wound it up and it keeps perfect time now. Mammy (my maternal grandmother) died in 1953. Both of those heirlooms still run. The one engraved to my grandfather in 1939 needs a good cleanng, but I'm thinking it would probably be wiser to clean them both than to purchase another watch made to today's standards.

4 comments:

Papa John said...

Would someone please figure out a way to forward this blog to TIMEX!! Thanks.

David said...

But it could be WORSE! My last watch had a "compass" that never worked. So in addition to not knowing what time it was, you could also not know which direction your are heading.

My current watch has two time slots. I use the second one for Zulu (24-hour, GMT), since that is what much of aviation reporting uses. I often inadvertently hit the button which switches the time. Then it's really confusing.

It also has the FLIX feature which turns on the light "with the flick of your wrist." Yeah right. I practically have to jerk my arm out of socket for the light to come on.

Cherish those old timepieces!

"He has made everything beautiful in its time." Ecclesiastes 3:11

Patty said...

Our wall clock has been slowly running down. Every day it's about 5 minutes more wrong than the day before. If I keep track of how wrong it was yesterday, I can make a pretty good guess of how wrong it will be today, but I might be wrong.

To complicate the timekeeping situation, our VCR has decided it's not sure which time zone it lives in. So right now it might read 8:59, but in 2 minutes it could be 11:01 and 2 minutes after that, 5:03. The minutes are right; the hours? Not so much.

And of course I haven't had a working watch since 1988...

I thought it was just me.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're keeping pace. My mom pulled her lovely rose gold watch out and began wearing it again several years ago. It was a graduation gift to her in 1943.