Monday, July 30, 2007

Sisters

Just when I sit back in my easy chair and sigh, "Life cannot possibly get any better than this." Hang on....because, once again, this roller-coaster ride called LIFE is about to reach a new peak.



Yesterday morning, following public worship, our oldest granddaughter (she will be the first to remind you that she is four minutes older than her sister) came to give me her usual hug. Or so I thought. However, this time, she whispered in my ear, "Memaw, I am going to be baptized today. My sister and I are!" Well, naturally, I assumed that they were going to avail themselves to using the new multi-dollar addition to the church building, but as I prepared to go to the front of the auditorium, her younger sister walked up to tell me that their choice of place for the re-birth (see Romans 6: 3-4 for starters) was the Columbia River.



Just before 7 on a beautiful, mostly cloudless evening, about 30-40 chirstians gathered on the banks of the Columbia River to witness the most important decision they will make in their lives.



Someone had thoughtfullly brought a few chairs for the event, and since I was not very steady on my feet, I sat down. I knew there was an alto singing beside me but gave little thought to who she might be, but after a couple of songs, I turned to see that the person holding my hand was my dear, dear friend of 38 years, co-owner of the trunk, and still the most beautiful lady I know. Since I was unable to maneuver the rocks that lay between my station and the dripping wet and happy girls, Joanne and I talked. I said, "There has been a lot of water under the bridge in 38 years."



Now I am thinking "There have been a lot of bridges over the water in that time." While we stayed in Juneau, they lived in Chile. In more recent years, she and I have shared the same bridge between Vancouver and Portland. Mostly, though we do not share the luxury of time we once shared. Our bond is eternal...for, we, too are sisters in Christ. And we now have two new young sisters. "Life just cannot possibly get any better than this."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She sure is one special lady....just like you!
I am so thrilled at the girls' decision to follow the Lord. How proud you all must be!
Sorry I didn't know about it or I would have certainly shared your day!!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, Betty! What wonderful news. I just thought I'd drop in and read some of your blog. Guess I picked the right time :-)

I enjoyed reading your book. Mom shared it with me.

If you'd like, you can check in on my life at www.lindaswindow.blogspot.com

Give John a hug from me.