Monday, July 23, 2007

A Long Way From Home

For the moment, let’s skip the report of getting to Eagle and our 10 days there. Let’s travel 3 miles South to Eagle Village on a dusty road which parallels the Yukon River.. There, we will find Charley Juneby’s House, or the community hall for the group of Athabaskan people – the Han Hwëch’in (pronounced Kwichin - with a little spit added in).

Most everyone knows that a potluck is an occasion when everyone brings a dish to share. A potlatch is the same thing except its purpose is to bring honor to someone. Postings in both Eagle and Eagle Village announced everyone was invited to honor Betty Wyatt at a potlatch on July 2nd. On July 1st, Joanne Beck came to our camper to discuss expectations.

The reason for the potlatch was two-fold. First, I wanted to present to Chief Marky the first several pages of Jessie’s photo album. The pictures on those pages are of Han youth in full regalia and of ancestors they have never seen. In 1975, a friend of mine took the photo album on a trip to Eagle and interviewed people who identified Jessie as well as other citizens. Second, it is important for the young people to witness such occasions.

At our preliminary meeting, Joanne asked if the pictures were framed, and I was happy to tell her that they had been beautifully mounted and framed. At that time, we also prepared her that we considered the photos to be a gift from Jessie, and we also wanted to present a gift from us. She said she would like to wait to see our gifts when presented.

In preparing me for the coming evening, Joanne said that after my presentation, a line would form to bring me gifts or hugs. She also said she did not know how many to expect but she knew of six from Dawson City and she thought there might be some from Fairbanks.

John and I arrived at Charley’s House shortly before the meal. Every Parkinson symptom I have experienced to that moment in time reared its ugly head for the occasion. After the wonderful meal, everyone gathered outside. John counted over 90 present so we figured 100 was a good guess. Young Chief Marky stood beside me as I shared my heart.

“In 2004, John and I came to Eagle to research the life of Jessie Fox Mather. Upon our arrival, we were invited to The Gathering which had been postponed because of fires in the region. We were shown around the property and went inside your church. When we came out, we walked to behind the church building.” At this time, I pointed to the huge bluffs across the Yukon River and stated, “When I looked at this scene, I felt I had been here many times before though I knew this was not possible. Then I realized that this was the exact place where some of the pictures of your ancestors were taken. It was not until we were ready to leave that I learned that Jessie’s possessions were a rarity. I apologize that it has taken me so long to present them to you.” Then John gave an eloquent speech, presenting the beautiful bent-wood, cedar box from Sitka.

After that, about 6 or 8 people lined up with gifts and hugs for me. Joanne’s aunt had made a lovely beaded necklace for me; it matched my clothing as though made for it; Joanne gave me foods she had canned, including salmon and “high bush,” and Carol Copeland presented to me a birch-bark basket which had been made by a lady from Eagle who had been taught the skills by Sarah, a Han master craftsperson. Of course, Carol waxed eloquent for her presentation. Then some of the heritage researchers from Dawson City presented a few gifts then demonstrated half a dozen songs and dances.

I think that I will never grasp the importance of the entire evening, but I know for certain that the pictures are in the right hands. To see them examine the notes from 1975 and see things I had never noticed even with a magnifying glass will live with me forever. And when I was visiting with a National Park Service employee from Fairbanks, I casually asked, “So, What brings you to Eagle? “His answer took me by surprise, “I came for this evening.”

The following day, Joanne Beck and two of the researchers from Dawson City came to visit. They talked of many things, but mainly they mentioned details they had seen in the pictures that mean something to their heritage, and they discussed preservation of the new treasures. It was a magical evening…a long way from home.

If you do not know the background of Jessie Fox Mather, you can learn about it by going to www.lulu.com/wyatt3.

2 comments:

Patty said...

how very special!

Kat said...

A potlatch in your honor. Not just anyone can say they have had that experience!
I am so happy to be reading about your trip, as I have been so anxious to hear all about it!
The way you two live your lives is just amazing, exciting & interesting!