Wednesday, February 16, 2011

JOANNE ROBERTS

For those of my readers who have never had a friendship like mine with Joanne Roberts, let me say you have missed one of God’s greatest treasures.

When we met, she was just newly married…raised as a Catholic….married to a Southern Baptist. Though I had been married much longer than she, Joanne was always the leader. She knew about budgeting and housework and cooking and being the perfect hostess. She and Ron lived in a tiny apartment; she washed their two windows, inside and out, almost daily until she took a job at a nearby bank.

The occasion of our meeting was a potluck at the Juneau Church of Christ when Ron brought his fresh-from-their-honeymoon bride to worship with us. We were packed like sardines at tables that completely filled the kitchen. John and I were sitting at the table with our backs to the window; Ron and Joanne were stuffed across from each other two tables away. Seems to me that John had to clamber over a couple of tables to introduce himself.

Ron was searching for a place of worship and had not found what he was looking for in either of the Juneau Baptist churches. We invited them for dinner the following night, and they accepted. The evening conversation was the usual – hunting, fishing, recipes, families, jobs, etc. But before they left that evening, we had decided they would come to our house every Monday night for a study of God’s Word. The first several weeks, John used a series of Jules Miller filmstrips to lead our studies. But each Monday, he and Ron would get into longer conversations on the Bible, always going to the Word for answers and more questions.

Joanne and I eventually excused ourselves and went to the living room. We became well acquainted, and I learned so much from (and about) her. It was not at all unusual for us to visit until the wee hours of the morning and call each other almost daily. For the first time in my life, I realized one does not have to talk all the time to be friends; we could talk out a subject and just sit silently and be perfectly content. Joanne came with Ron to support his desire to study. But just about the time Ron was thinking of being baptized, Joanne had been listening to the studies enough to realize they applied to her as well. It was a sunny day when Jesus washed their sins away. Bob Waldron baptized them.

She was always in charge whether it was leading a scrappy bunch of men beyond the trails to the top of Mount Juneau or lifting spawning salmon over an obstacle to help them on their way or teaching a children’s Bible class. When Joanne and I planned the baby shower for our friend Kathy’s firstborn, I fell apart because the baby came early so Joanne moved the party to her place and took on the entire occasion, without complaining. There is photographic proof that four of us young-married ladies hiked to Dupont. Joanne led the pack; I pulled up the rear, carrying our bear-protection rifle. Of course, Joanne was the only one who knew how to aim. I suppose any of us could have shot the gun, but so glad we did not encounter a bear to test that theory. The only wildlife encounter were the mice gnawing on my hair during the night.

Did I mention Joanne was beautiful? I know I mentioned it to her…just before they moved away. Whether dressed for a hike with a red neckerchief covering her hair or giving a talk to a group of ladies, she was knockdown gorgeous. She had the most perfect posture, the kind my father always prodded me to practice. I said, “Joanne, I have never said this to you, but I want you to know something. You are beautiful.”

She thought for a moment and replied, “I know; and you have no idea what a burden that is in life.” She was not vain; there was just no hiding the fact, even from herself.

She loved the outdoors, and frequently borrowed David and/or Patty Cake for an afternoon. My memories abound. When I read in scripture about the love Jonathan had for David or Jesus’ love for John, I praise God that I have a friendship like that. It is a rare calling and requires one thing that people do not give these days. That thing is T.I.M.E.

I have twice cried buckets for my precious sister. The first siege was when she told me she and Ron had made a decision to forego the six-figure income they had come to Juneau to buy into. They had decided to attend a preacher-training school in Denver, Colorado. Before they moved away, I took my children to California so that I would not have to face our “Goodbye.” When we returned, they were on their way to Denver, where, they completed the schooling and adopted baby #1. then moved to Texas. They added four more boys to their family and, eventually, moved with their five boys to Chile, where they continued to share the Good News of Jesus Christ. When they returned to the USA, they moved to the town where we reside.

The second siege of tears has already required more than one bucket. About 5 years ago, Joanne had a kidney with a tumor attached, removed. Last year, she found a lump on her breast and underwent surgery, chemo, and radiation. She lost her beautiful hair but kept her eyelashes and eyebrows. She missed her annual mission trip to Mexico. As soon as her treatment was complete, she began making plans to make sure of the supplies. Because she was fluent in Spanish, my friend was in charge of shopping and feeding close to 100 folks who take a few days to build houses for people living in abject poverty. On January 23rd, Joanne missed worship because she had a really bad headache, and after enduring a miserable pain for two days, Ron insisted she see a doctor. The rest is a blur of information gathered wherever and however I could get it. The MRI revealed seven (7) tumors on her brain. Medically, she received 3 hours of radiation daily for 3 weeks. Heavily sedated for the pain, she slept almost all of the time. I was allowed to sit with her briefly. She knew I was there; she knew who I was. She opened her eyes and told me she loved me so much.

I told you she was always a leader. Joanne Cimmiyotti-Roberts continues to lead the way for all of us to live our lives in service to God, not looking back. She is now among the souls described in Hebrews 12:1, cheering us on.

3 comments:

Linda Judd said...

She was, indeed, a treasure. Your tribute to her was perfect, and brought tears to my eyes. Even though we haven't lived near the Roberts in many, many years, I will miss her, just knowing she is no longer sharing space on this earth with me. But, thanks to God, we'll be together again in the sweet by-and-by.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. There are so many stories about Joanne and I wish I could be at the memorial service to hear more.

David said...

Thank you Mom. For sharing your vivid memories of a friendship so rich it lasted a lifetime. I thought of you all day and wished that I could have been there to share in more memories of Joanne with others. God bless you.