Saturday, April 3, 2010

PeDee Untethered

Now that PeDee has been released, he is actually allowed out in public. Two weeks ago, I volunteered my body at Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) for another research study. Let me just state, right here, anyone can volunteer for medical research. Folks with little or no ailments are needed for the “control” group; their data are used for comparing the afflicted with normal.
I was asked to stay off PeDee’s medication for at least 12 hours before showing up for the study. If PeDee would not be recognized in public by my slowed gait or body rattle, he would certainly be noticed by my beautiful Diamond Willow walking stick. John allowed an hour to transport me during the morning Rush hour; and, this time, we were early. Kelsey met us at 8 a.m. sharp and guided us through the catacombs of the Hatfield building to a small, equipment-crowded room to meet Brent. These two students would be testing PeDee’s wits and balance while on and while off medication. Meanwhile, John took the tram down to the trolley and enjoyed a Portland-city morning.
The study went fine…the selected words to remember for the morning were face, velvet, church, daisy, and red. CHECK. Some may question this, but I believe PeDee’s mind is intact. The worst part of the study was balance -- trusting the researcher enough to lean all of my weight against her hands, which were placed firmly on my shoulder blades and knowing that she would let go. Stepping backwards is particularly scary for elephants.
Perhaps in the near future, the Development of the Instrumented Test of Mobility will benefit others with Parkinson Disease.

* Thank you to my friend Anita for labeling this blog upon reading Meet PeDee..
Stay tune for the next installment of PeDee’s adventures – PeDee Takes Seattle

No comments: