Saturday, January 17, 2009

Another January Birthday ?

Two years ago, we did not even know her name. The only hint we had of her existence came in a mysterious email signed by our youngest. The message read something like this: “I just wanted to let you know that I have started dating someone. I don’t want to talk about it, and I especially don’t want you discussing it among yourselves.”

Less than 2 weeks later, a late-night phone call came. The trembling voice on the other end of the line announced, “Mom. Dad. I would like you to meet my fiancĂ©.”

I gathered from this introduction that the ban on our mentioning her was over, but I decided to “test the waters” before diving in. I wrote, “Does she have a middle name?”

“Yes. And, making conversation, I asked her the same question back awhile ago. And she told me what it is, but I don’t remember.” Their wedding followed, on June 9, 2007

Soon, they will celebrate their 2nd anniversary of his proposal. And we have all come a long way. As a recent guest in our home, besides feeding, bathing, shopping for, playing with, and keeping the baby on schedule, she handcrafted gifts for everyone in the family, instigated a “ladies night in,” permed, braided, and trimmed hair; trimmed and beautified fingernails and toenails; and impressed everyone she came in contact with her abilities and especially her love of our son and our Lord. In other words, she has stolen this family’s collective heart.

When asked “What impressed you most about Dana?” the replies are certainly varied:
Papa -- “One of her best attributes is completely engaging everyone in a happy, joyous manner.”
“She cared about how I looked.”
“That girl knows how to pack!”
EVS -- "Cinnamon rolls."
PKS -- "What impressed me most about Dana is that she loves all the same things I do: Jesus Christ, a day at the spa, scrapbooking, shopping craft stores, Geoffrey (and now Eli), and hanging out!"
KTW -- I like the magic she works on Uncle Geoffrey! And I really like her hand crafted greeting cards.
APW -- I think she’s a great mom.
PAW -- Aunt Dana is really nice and she does hair for Tabitha and me.
DMW -- I am most impressed with Dana’s decorating skills. As we all know, Geoffrey lived out of cardboard boxes and suitcases for several years. It’s fun to see pictures of their remodeling projects. Their home looks very comfortable.

And, did I mention “She can cook”?

Happy Birthday, daughter…and many, many more.

1 comment:

Dana Wyatt said...

Thank you so much! I appreciate all of the kind words from everyone. What a special recap that made me smile, laugh, and feel blessed to have such a loving family :)

We miss you all each day! Looking forward to seeing you again very soon :)