Monday, October 13, 2008

How good are you at guessing?

Saturday was "grape harvest" day...YUM! I always juice the concords and try to keep the mess to a minimum. In the dead of winter, it is such a treat to taste the "fruits of our labor." But, I especially love to save at least one container for communion as we travel or share a special time of worship.

This year, I goofed -- BIG TIME – in the cleanup, and knew John was not going to be happy with the result. So-o-o, when he came in, exhausted from his yard-work duties and plopped into his easy chair, I had prepared a quiz for him. See how you do, Dear Reader.

“Honey, I have a quiz for you to test the endurance of our marriage. See if you can guess which of these three I really did today:

1) I had some dish towels I used to strain the grape juice; I knew they’d wash up fine with bleach, but forgot I had put your blue shirt in the washer the day before.
2) Because it was midnight when I finished canning, I left the kitchen in such a mess. When I got up this morning, I had to face the cleanup and prepare for a potluck. Thanks to our wonderful, full-capacity dishwasher, I can fit about anything in it. So, besides the huge juicer, I also was able to fit in your favorite cutting board. Did you know you can delaminate wood in a dishwasher?
OR
3) I had a stack of things in the car to donate to a local charity, and after I got home, I realized I had left one of your tools in the car seat and must have donated it.
Which of these three do you think is true?”

Because John had trouble guessing, I made it easy for him. I asked him to place them in order of importance to him and to our marriage. I will tell you this much – our marriage is safe for the moment… he placed the real answer third in importance, stating “No one would be that dumb.”

Now…one more quick question – can you guess which of our three children never says to me: “So that’s where I get that gene!”?

2 comments:

Papa John said...

Aw, Come on!! What I said was, "No one would put a cutting board in a dishwasher." I didn't use the word "dumb". (I hope).
BY the way, does anyone need a few pieces of nice hardwood about a foot long? They are kind of narrow.

Patty said...

Actually, to answer the genetic question, I wash my cutting board in the dishwasher all the time, but it's a solid chunk of African wood that will never die.