Friday, August 1, 2008

BACKING UP

When we moved to this area of the country, it was necessary to acquire a new driver’s license. In order to obtain one, I was required by the State to take both a written and a “behind the wheel” test. Upon arriving home, my son asked me if I had passed the tests.

“Yes, and with only one restriction. I am not allowed to back up.”

Of course, he believed me. And even now (21 years later) he checks with me to see if I still have that prohibition on my driver’s license.

Now, the Good Lord knew my incapabilities in every imaginable area of life, and He selected for me a life’s partner (husband) to fill in where I am lacking.

When we take a journey in his van, pulling our camper, John can back into any parking spot with ease. He proved that recently by squeezing into a reserved campsite intended for a camper half our size. Immediately following that miracle, he talked our neighbor through the same process. Granted, it took this gentleman quite a bit longer and meant the removal of one sizable post to accomplish what John had done with such ease. The grateful family became our instant 3-day friends.

I once was appointed to take home our boat trailer after dropping John and our open-air boat where there was no parking. He set me up, pointing me in the right direction. All I had to do was drive straight home (less than 10 miles). The trick was that, when I arrived home, I was to back the trailer into the yard. Did you know that when you back up pushing a trailer, you do not steer the vehicle in a normal manner? To this day, I still do not understand the logistics of such a feat. Well…long story, short…(I know, I know. I’m too late.) I eventually got out of the car, unhooked the trailer, and pushed it by hand into its proper place. You can’t do that with a camper.

Now, you may be wondering what other areas of life John is more able to tackle than I am. The answer is simply “pretty much everything.” I don’t resent it at all; I just sit back and enjoy the ride…especially backing up.

No comments: