Friday, August 17, 2007

WAXING NOSTALGIC...

I dare not speak how many years ago this day, I was ready to end the pregnancy. For only an elephant would have been expecting a child longer. It, like most of my stories these days, is a long one. Suffice it to say that, somewhere in the past year, I had had a miscarriage, and by the time the obstetrician detected that, I was pregnant again--also undetected.

Would this child be a little brother or a little sister for our firstborn? God only knew. We purposely took a bumpy ride up to Perseverance Theater to encourage the delivery. After all, another expectant friend (2 weeks past her due date) had announced to me that very day she was taking castor oil to induce her delivery. The race was on.

When my labor pains began, John and I ran for the phone book...not to call the doctor, but rather to come up with a boy's name. That's when the silliness started....but I won't bore my reader with that except to say that amidst all our giggles, the baby joined in...with the hiccups. The more bizarre the name, the harder the hiccup; the harder the hiccup, the more intense the nudge to be born.

Probably because in winter they needed to keep the steep hillside clear and sanded, parking was not allowed at the old Saint Ann Hospital. The climb from the block below took only moments. By the time, I was prepped for the delivery room, a chattering flash by my doorway returned to inform me "You better not be first!" In truth, I cannot say which of us delivered our baby girl first nor can I recall the family name. But somewhere in this world is a lady named Darian celebrating her birthday today.

And this day I will once again hold my daughter in my arms and remind her how very loved she is! And how much joy she has been in our lives.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PATRICIA KAY.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God
Thank John & thank you for bringing her to us!
Isn't it amazing to look back & wonder "where did it all go so fast?"

betty said...

AMEN TO THAT!

betty

brenvanc said...

Thanks for sharing her birth story. And thank you for sharing your joy that is your daughter!

So how did you end up with her name if you were looking for boy names?

I'm so looking forward to helping her celebrate tonight. bsb