Saturday, March 17, 2007

Wonderin'

When I am reading the Bible or listening to it being read, there is one passage of scripture that makes me hold my breath and to think, "If I could be anyone in God's Word, this is the character I would want to be."

I wonder if others feel this way. I wonder whom others might choose. I know that some believe they know the name of my chosen woman. Many things have been said about the person they would name. Mostly, what one reads about her are completely fictional. In truth, as far as I know, there is only one encounter between this woman and Jesus Christ, and she is nameless.

Ah-h-h, but what an encounter! Jesus had accepted an invitation to eat in the house of a Pharisee; and when He entered the house, the host did not do Him the courtesy of washing His feet. But a woman, hearing of the visitor, entered the house of the Pharisee. When she came near Jesus, she dropped to her knees, crying.

Why was she crying? Why would I be crying? Coming in contact with God in flesh, knowing my shortcomings, knowing that He knows me. Not simply that He knows my name but He knows all about me; and loves me just the same. He cares.

Her tears flowed from her broken, penitent heart. They were not wasted. She used them to wash the accumulation of dust and dirt on His feet from His journeys. And she dried the briney liquid with her long hair. All the time she was wetting His feet with her tears, she was kissing them. What humility of spirit that would require. Finally, she used her perfume to anoint His feet.

At the start of this blog, I stated, "She was nameless." However, there is a descriptive word...an adjective....telling the reader much about her. That word is sinner. Jesus speaks to her twice, saying, "Your sins have been forgiven." and "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

The Bible does not tell us anything more about that woman, but I can fully imagine that she left His presence IN PEACE. A good cry can feel so cleansing, and knowing one's wrong doings are forgiven....well, life just can't get any better!

Luke 7:36-50

1 comment:

brenvanc said...

Hallal has a wonderfully moving song based on this unknown woman's gift. It is on their Mercy CD (vol.8 of the Singers Worship Series)and is titled "Turning Now to You".

http://www.hallalmusic.com/products/sws/audio/sws08/sws0814.html